Pages

Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A Review of the Blank Slate Blog

-Cameron Richard



          The first thing I notice is a very minimalistic approach. The minimalist style is very appealing to me. As well the formatting of the blog has an excellent ease of use in that it extends or compresses to fit within the window size of the browser. As someone who regularly has several tabs and windows open, this is something that makes my work MUCH easier. It’s even helping me during this review. However, there are a few things I see that I think could use a bit of work, though it’s mainly aesthetic choices on my part.
                The main issue I would have as a reader of the blog is that there’s not much of a way to easily access past blog posts if I’m searching for one in particular. Rather than being able to search by date published or searching through an itemized archive, I have to scroll down through the posts. While this isn’t exactly a monumental task, I think that it makes it a little bit harder to really be immersed in the blog when you’re only able to see one post at a time. Along the same vein as immersion, there isn’t a very large amount of visually stimulating material at first glance. It is a very plain black and white blog.
                There are some benefits to their style of formatting, however. Rather than show you the complete text of every post, there is the first few sentences of the post with a “Read More” option directly below the text. I really like this because it plainly states the name of the post but doesn’t clutter up the screen with text if you’re not particularly interested in the subject matter. Something that helps the issue of having no archive on the side or easily accessible. I also can see how the plain style of the blog fits with the title of “Blank Slate”.
                All in all, I like what they’re doing with it. It doesn’t have obnoxious or painful-to-look-at pictures or colors. It is easy to see what you’re reading, and it is not a problem if there are multiple divisions of the screen amongst your browsers.

No comments:

Post a Comment